My Very First Public Speaking

Hello, world this is my very first public speaking about feminism I was 9 when I wrote this hope you like it.

As Malala once said

“I raise up my voice not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.”
― Malala Yousafzai

Good morning teachers, judges and students. Today I will talk to you about standing up for yourself and for what is right, and also how hard this may be, but how standing up for yourself or others can make a difference.  

Now back to the quote. what I think the quote means is that if one person takes a stand, then other people will be inspired to as well, and maybe be brave to stand up for what is right, just like Malala. Malala was on a bus to school one day, and she was shot in the head, just because she was standing up for education for girls, and attending a local school. Luckily she survived. Ever since she’s been an amazing influence on girls everywhere.

Now, I’m not saying that you should put your life at risk in order to be a great influence, but what you should take away from this, is that you don’t need to be famous to make a difference. People should always choose what is right, instead of just what is easy or following what others are doing.

I have a book called’ “goodnight stories for rebel girls” my mom reads me a few pages each night, and each story is about a girl or a woman who has made a difference in the lives of others or for the world. There is one story about a girl, who was born a boy. She never ever felt right in her body, and she was brave enough to come out as transgender. 

This meant that not everyone was happy about her decision, I’m guessing she must have lost one or two friends over this decision. But it’s what she felt and that was what was important. Her parents supported her, and together they made a case to the courts that when she returned to school, that she would be allowed to use a “Girls” bathroom. 

Her teachers originally only let her use the boy’s bathroom or a disabled bathroom before this. But she would argue I’m not a boy, and I’m not disabled. I should be able to use the Girl’s bathroom if I identify as a girl.

This book is important because it inspires people all over the world to take stands to be different and to be comfortable to be themselves, no matter if they are a man or a woman. Standing up for yourself can make a difference. Plus, it gives people like me a lot of positive role models to look up to.

Being different and being comfortable to stand up for yourself does make a difference. So, why do people think that being different is wrong? 

There is nothing wrong with being different,…  Being different doesn’t necessarily mean something bad. There’s a sign in Mrs. Cleveland’s classroom and it says “stand up for what is Right even if you’re standing alone. “I think that is a really good message. People are most often afraid of things that are different than them because they cannot relate and don’t understanding what it must be like. But if you just put yourself in their shoes then if you dig deep down you’ll find that they are just the same as you, just with a few more challenges or different likes or dislikes than you.

Last, of all, I’m not going to lie to you.  Standing up for someone or something is really hard, but you might ask is it worth it? Now you don’t get some kind of prize or trophy from standing up, but what you do get is a good feeling. A feeling that makes you happy. Not because you received something in return, but because you did something good for others to help people become the best they can be…. And is that a good feeling yes.yes that is a good feeling. Standing up for what’s right, even if you’re standing alone, can be scary, but it’s worth it.